Friday, August 10, 2012

Milani Brow Tint Pen Review, Photos and Swatches!

milani brow tint pen review

Milani Brow Tint Pen

Milani Brow Tint Pen ($5.99) is a quick-drying and long-wearing felt-tip eyebrow pen that is used for filling and shaping the brows. It has a fairly fine point for precise application.

The Milani Brow Tint Pen is available in (2) shades: Natural Taupe and Dark Brown.

Natural Taupe is a light brown that will work well for most light hair colors, while Dark Brown is about one shade deeper of a brown, with an ash-brown/moss green undertone (no red tones at all). Natural Taupe has a warm undertone, without looking too brassy.

The pigmentation is very sheer. The color is buildable to a light-medium, but the color will never reach opaque pigmentation. Because of the sheer color, it's excellent for darkening/adding color to sparse and fine brows.

I like applying Natural Taupe through my brows to deepen them, and go back with Dark Brown to areas that need a little more definition. The result is very natural, clean brows.

milani brow tint pens

milani brow tint pen before after

I find them to last well on their own, but I always make sure to apply the brow product before applying my foundation to avoid build up on the tip of the pen. For oily skin, you may find that using a clear primer (such as Nars Smudge-proof Primer or UD Primer Potion) on your brows prior to application helpful, or dusting a transparent powder across the brows to pick up excess oil which can break up the product later in the day.

milani brow tint pen review





Swatches:
milani brow tint pen swatches
I swatched both shades three times. As you can see, you can achieve a very fine line, as well as a thick line with the brush tip. The thickest swatch is two layers. Natural Taupe is on the left, and Dark Brown is on the right.

Overall, I think this product is a great alternative to the more expensive brands. There aren't so many alternatives there for brow pens; some include: Anastasia of Beverly Hills Brow Pen ($21), Suqqu Eyebrow Liquid Pen ($25) and GOSH Long Lasting Brow Pen ($7.98). I've always wondered about brow pens, and am happy I finally can say I've tried one. So far, I really like these, but time will tell as I continue using them. I'll keep you updated!

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Easy to use.
  • Pigmentation is fairly sheer, for a very natural appearance - great for darkening fine and sparse brows.
  • Dark Brown works perfectly well for my dark brows without making my brows look too dark or overpowering.
  • Long-lasting. 
Cons:
  • Because the product doesn't get quite opaque, it might not be the best product for shaping thin or non-existent brows. If you like full, prominent brows, you might want to look into a more pigmented product such as Maybelline Define-a-Brow. 
  • Hard to find in stores - I've been looking for this product for months (thanks to a recommendation from one of my readers) and I'm never able to find it. I finally found it at a CVS with a full Milani display (my local CVS only stocks about half of the products).
Price: $5.99, CVS or wherever Milani products are sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment