Thursday, June 14, 2012

MAC Lovelorn Lipstick Review with Comparisons!

Mac lovelorn lipstick review

MAC Lovelorn Lipstick

MAC Lovelorn Lipstick ($15) is described on the MAC website as an emotive blue-pink. It's actually a medium toned sheer, natural pink with subtle cool tones. What's fab about this pink is that it's not overly cool, so it's a pink that both warm and cool skin tone gals could enjoy. Cool-toned pinks aren't normally flattering on my tan skin (they seem to better suit me when I'm lighter) and I often find them difficult to wear, but Lovelorn actually works out well for me.

If you're looking for a barbie pink, Lovelorn isn't it. I find it to be a more mature pink (no, not great grandma mature) - possibly Creme Cup's sophisticated older sister? It's very natural, and kind of gives my lips a "my lips but better" appearance with a couple swipes of the tube. (Check it out on Bloomin Beauty, it looks gorgeous on her!)

Lovelorn is a Lustre formula, which is one of my favorite lipstick formulas for a few reasons - The apply smoothly, don't accentuate dryness, feel great on, and although they are sheer, the color is very buildable for full coverage. Lastly, they have a shiny finish, so I never need a lip gloss layered on top. A simple wham-bam, and I'm done. The only downside is that the lasting power of the lustre formulas aren't the best. After a couple hours, I'm due for a reapplication.

Mac lovelorn lipstick review

Mac lovelorn lipstick swatches
MAC Lovelorn Lipstick on my lips

I still prefer warmer pinks for my skintone (MAC Creme Cup for life!), but I really like Lovelorn. I can see it working the best on those with MAC NW coloring, fairly neutral coloring (not overly warm, or cool), light skin tones and subtle warm skin tones. If you have strong yellow tones, you'd be better off with something like MAC Shygirl.


Here are a few comparisons: 
Mac lovelorn swatches
From left to right: MAC Lovelorn, MAC Creme Cup, MAC Hue and MAC Viva Glam Gaga.

It doesn't really resemble any of these shades. Lovelorn is slightly deeper, rosier and cooler than Creme Cup. I added MAC Viva Glam Gaga in the line-up because it's also a cool-pink, but you can see that they are very different. Lovelorn is darker, rosier and is an overall much more wearable blue-based pink.

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Great formula - I love MAC Lustre Lipsticks because of the smooth application, they don't accentuate dryness, feel great on, and although they are sheer, the color is very buildable for full coverage. Lastly, they have a shiny finish, so I never need a lip gloss layered on top
  • The subtle cool pink and rosy undertones in addition with it's sheerness makes it a more wearable cool pink lipstick. 
  • It's great for every day wear.
Cons:
  • The lasting power is pretty short - it doesn't last longer than a couple of hours. 
Price: $15, Mac.

Leave me alone, Mom! Dad is putting me to sleep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment