Sunday, May 27, 2012

Make Up For Ever #139 Eyeshadow Review, Photos and Swatches!

Make Up For Ever #139 Eyeshadow

Make Up For Ever Eyeshadow ($20) are high-intense powder shadows that come in a huge variety of shades (over 100) and finishes (matte, semi-matte and iridescent). Some of the brighter shades can even be used as a blush.

The eyeshadows are cased in small, slim black plastic compacts (no mirror) and are very lightweight and great for travel. They are a bit flimsy, and dare I say cheap, but as they are a pro makeup artist brand, they are meant to be placed in palettes. The Make Up For Ever Eyeshadow Palette holds ten eyeshadows.

Everytime I go to Sephora I have a "routine" of the brands I'll visit, and I always stop by Make Up For Ever. I've tried many of their products through the past five years, but I never actually purchased any of their shadows. I always thought they were a bit expensive, so I would purchase MAC as an alternative. For reference,  MUFE shadows actually contain a bit more product than MAC (MAC - 0.05 oz, MUFE 0.08 oz) not that it's hugely significant.

I'm typically drawn to all shades of brown, and shades that are versatile and can be worn often. #139 is described on the website as a Iridescent Brown Black. I would describe it as a neutral, dark brown with a satiny/matte finish.


MUFE #139 on my eyes


#139 contains a little bit of fine iridescence, but when applied, the color appears to be a satiny matte. It's very pigmented, and when applied heavy on my lids, I experience little to no fall-out. 

The formula is smooth (matte shadows sometimes have a tendency to be dry) and it applies easily without having any problems blending. I'd compare the quality of this shade in particular to NARS eyeshadow - easier to blend than MAC, and more pigmented. 

I'm definitely impressed with MUFE Eyeshadow, and I'd definitely be game for trying additional shades in the future. 

Comparisons:
From left to right: MUFE #139, MAC Brun and Nars Coconut Grove.

I assumed that #139 would be a close match to MAC Brun or Nars Coconut Grove. But, when they're next together, #139 actually looks warmer than the two, which is a little odd because it's a fairly ashy brown. Perhaps it appears that way because of the yellow tones in my skin. On my eyes, the color is a bit more accurate to what you see in the pan.


The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Soft, blendable texture
  • Intensly pigmented
  • Little-to-no fall-out during heavy appplication
  • Small, slim compact is good for travel
  • Large variety of colors 
Cons:
  • The quality of the packaging isn't the greatest, but like mentioned, they are good for travel/keeping in your bag
(no complaints of the actual performance of the product!)

Price: $20, Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment