Thursday, May 31, 2012

Stila Gerbera Convertible Color Review!

Stila Gerbera Convertible Color

Stila Convertible Color ($25) is an award winning lipstick and blush all-in-one. Although it can be used as a lipstick, it's best used as a blush. The pigmented cream adds instant color and fresh radiance to the cheeks that will last for hours.

It's available in nine (9) shades: Gerbera, Gladiola, Lillium, Petunia, Peony, Camellia, Rose, Fuschia and Poppy. Although Lillium (dusty pale pink) is a popular choice, Gerbera looked like my perfect color.

Gerbera is a light, warm peachy-pink. Once applied, the color really comes alive and has a sense of vibrancy on the cheeks. On my skin, the color doesn't pull orange, so for those looking for a peach with rather pink tones as opposed to orange, this might be for you. It'd also work as a great base for a warm pink, peach or coral powder blush. On my lips, it actually looks similar to YSL Tender Peach Rouge Volupte Lipstick (but slightly lighter - one of my favorites!)



The consistency is very creamy and has a slight tackiness. It's quite different from Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge, Illamasqua Cream Blush, which aren't as thick and creamy. It's tackier than Becca Cream Blush - probably the most comparable to MAC's older (Blushcreme) formula - which actually I wasn't very fond of because of the heavy texture. 

Because this product is very pigmented, a stippling brush works the best at providing a light wash of color. I like using a MAC #187 Brush, or anything similar. I find the product really easy to blend without looking blotchy, thick or greasy. 

On the lips, the color looks surprisingly pastel, which I really like, but tan/deep skin tones may find it too light for the lips. It isn't the most moisturizing formula for the lips, so lip balm or a little gloss is recommended. 


The product is housed in a durable plastic, mirrored compact that is color coordinated with each shade. I can see it being pretty handy if you own a bunch of these, to easily grab the shade you want to wear without having to look at every compact (like my MAC Blushes - it's like playing Where's Waldo every time I'm looking for a particular shade. Boy, did I love those books as a kid).




The color looks a little light, but I assure you, it's very flattering on the cheeks. The color is actually a bit deeper than what you see in the swatch. A really awesome shade for Summer.

Overall, I'm happy with this blush, but I'm not completely sold with the Stila 'Convertible Color' line in general. As of right now, Becca is probably my favorite formula.

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Creamy texture
  • Pigmented color
  • Blends easily - but because of it's thick texture, it might be difficult to blend on dry skin
  • Natural result
  • Comfortable wear - doesn't feel heavy on my cheeks
  • Lasts throughout the day with minor fading by the end of the day
  • No scent
Cons:
  • The texture definitely isn't my favorite, it's a little too thick and sticky for my personal preference
  • Doesn't work the best on the lips - although the consistency is very creamy, it's quite drying on the lips. Nothing lip balm or gloss can't fix, though.
  • For those with oily skin may find the formula to be too greasy as well as having shorter lasting power
  • Might not be the best choice for deep skin tones. It's very flattering on light to light-medium/medium skin tones
Price: $25, Sephora or ULTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment