Thursday, July 12, 2012

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup Review!

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation Review

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup ($13.99) is Revlon's newest addition to their foundation family. This mousse-like texture feels silky against the skin, with a "time release" formula that balances skin for a flawless long-lasting look. Provides medium to full coverage and withstands heat and humidity.

Available in sixteen (16) shades: Ivory, Buff, Sand Beige, Nude, Natural Beige, Medium Beige, Warm Golden, True Beige, Natural Tan, Early Tan, Rich Ginger and Caramel.

Being a big fan of Revlon, I was really excited when they launched a new foundation - especially since it's a part of the Colorstay line. After reading several very positive reviews, I didn't hesitate to purchase it! I've been wearing it now for a little under two weeks. (I was wearing it in every post for the month of July)

My color match is Warm Golden, which is a warm medium shade equivalent to the MAC NC30 coloring. In comparison to the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation, it's almost exactly the same, but it's a touch less yellow toned. (Comparison swatches later in this post)

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation Warm Golden


The consistency of the foundation is different than any other foundation I've tried. It's not like your typical cream foundation (Laura Mercier Silk Creme, MAC Studio Sculpt, etc.), it's much more dense. And, if you're not a fan of mousse formulas, don't worry, it's nothing like the texture of Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. It's more emollient and thicker, yet very creamy and still has somewhat of a mousse-like feel. If you read the ingredients list, it's packed with silicone, but it doesn't have that familiar silicone primer, powdery texture. If you hold this container upside down, the product isn't going anywhere. 

I've experimented a lot with this foundation, and I've found that it's not the easiest formula to work with. It needs some moisture to spread across my face easily, so it's vital for me to apply a good layer of a lightweight moisturizer, or give my face a good spray of Maya Water or MAC Fix+ Spray prior to application.

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Makeup

Application Method
I've tried several different brushes, and I actually prefer using my fingers. The product glides across my face so much better with my fingers. After blending with my fingers, I usually go over my face with a clean foundation brush, working it in small circular motions to ensure that it's completely blended. When solely using a brush, the product doesn't seem to move around as well. I noticed when using a duo-fiber brush, specifically, my Real Techniques Stippling Brush, the product instantly builds up in the bristles, making the bristles stick together and become firm - a complete disaster if you're attempting to blend in the foundation. I'm assuming it's due to  all of the silicones in the ingredients. A slightly dampened sponge also works well, and according to other reviews, many like using a flat-top foundation brush, such as the Sigma F80.

The coverage is medium, which is buildable to a heavier medium. It leaves my face looking completely flawless. Reddened blemishes still peek through a tiny bit.

The finish is a bit matte at first, but then changes to a more natural satin finish. It's very similar to the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Makeup for oily/combination skin. I don't find a setting powder necessary.

It's kind of funny because I've seen other reviewers mention that it actually looks better as it wears throughout the day, and I completely agree. After an hour or so, it seems to settle in and appear more natural. Despite not wearing setting powder some days, I don't get oily, and my face doesn't need any touching up mid-day.

This foundation wears incredibly well and stays almost completely put until the time I take it off. It stays in tact all day with minor fading around my lips (from eating, drinking, etc). I actually find it to have better staying power than the regular Colorstay foundation (individual results will vary).

As far as heat and humidity goes, it has been very hot (over 100 degrees) and humid, and I wouldn't necessarily choose this foundation to wear if I'm going to be outdoors. I notice that shortly after being outside when it's very hot, the makeup melts off my upper-lip, giving me a white patch, and the darn container is too heavy to carry with me in my bag for touch-ups. Other than that, my foundation stays perfectly in place.

It washes off easily with a makeup wipe - it's not hard to remove like some other long-wearing foundations (Estee Double Wear for instance takes a little elbow grease to remove!)

Wearing Revlon Colorstay Whipped
Wearing 320 Warm Golden

The packaging is a large, heavy, bulky glass jar. I actually kinda like the visual appeal of it, but it's not ideal for travel and it's not very sanitary.  *For touch-ups, you can put a little scoop in a travel jar and keep it in your bag. 

It does have a slight smell, but it's nothing like the chemical smell of the regular Colorstay foundation. The smell is a bit synthetic - a bit like plastic? But nothing intolerable.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this foundation, and I can definitely see repurchasing it when I run out! I think it's a foundation that could work well on all skin types.

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation Swatch
Left: Revlon Colorstay Whipped Makeup in Warm Golden
Right: Revlon Colorstay Liquid Makeup in Warm Golden.

The Round-Up
Pros:
  • Feels very light on my skin
  • Provides a great medium to a medium-full coverage
  • Natural finish
  • Wears incredibly well throughout the day
  • Long-lasting
  • Controls oil very well
  • Doesn't irritate my skin
  • Contains salicylic acid - lessens the chance of breakouts!?
  • Photographs well
Cons:
  • Can sometimes be difficult to work with.
  • No spf.
  • Color selection isn't the best for those with strong yellow undertones, and the darkest shade isn't very dark at all. Deep-dark skin tones won't be able to find a match.
  • Although the packaging is appealing, it's not very sanitary and it's not practical. It's way too heavy to travel with, and being that it's glass, you have to be careful not to drop it - especially on ceramic floor (disaster!)
  • The standard fluid ounces for the majority of foundations on the market is 1 oz. This foundation contains 0.8 oz. Why are you jipping me out of my 0.20 ounces, Revlon!? 
Price: $13.99 at your local drugstore. For a $2 off printable coupon, click below.


Have you tried this foundation? What'd you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment